US stresses importance of ASEAN central role in Asia-Pacific
The US remains supportive for ASEAN’s efforts in negotiating for the Code of Conduct in the East Sea with China, which is in line with international laws and the 1982 UN Convention on the Law of the Sea.
The US will continue to promote its relations with ASEAN, a bloc that plays a key role in the Asia-Pacific region.
|Overview of the online meeting. Source: VNA|
US Mission to ASEAN Chargé d’Affaires Melissa A. Brown shared the view in the 12th meeting of the ASEAN-US Joint Cooperation Committee (JCC) that was held online on March 17, aiming to review progress of ongoing projects and cooperation activities under the current framework of bilateral strategic partnership.
Regarding the East Sea, Brown said the US remains supportive for ASEAN’s efforts in negotiating for the Code of Conduct (COC) in the East Sea (internationally known as South China Sea) with China, which is in line with international laws and the 1982 UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).
During the meeting, ASEAN member countries highly regarded the US active cooperation with ASEAN through ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF), Defence Ministers' Meeting-Plus (ADMM Plus) and East Asia Summit (EAS).
The two sides agreed on further commitment in realizing ASEAN-US action plan for the 2021-25 period, while pushing for the implementation of shared vision in the ASEAN-US joint statement on Human Capital Development and other East Asia high-level statements adopted in 2020.
Permanent Representative of Vietnam to ASEAN Nguyen Hai Bang, who also serves as the Chair of the Initiative for ASEAN Integration (IAI) Task Force, welcomed the US contribution for the implementation of IAI Work Plan III (2016-20).
Bang expected the US to further assist ASEAN in realizing the goals set in the IAI Work Plan IV (2021-25), which was approved at the 37th ASEAN Summit last year.
- Vietnam, China enhance border ties
- Van Don Airport to pilot facial recognition tech for passengers
- US human rights report gives one-sided evaluations of Vietnam: MOFA
- US reaffirms to address war legacies in Vietnam
- South Korean Gov’t appeals court order: Vietnam requests respect history
- Int’l voices promote innovation for empowerment of migrant women in Vietnam
- US pledges $73 million for dioxin cleanup at Bien Hoa Air Base
- Boosting Vietnam’s youth engagement to prevent human trafficking
- Gender equality in digital transformation in Vietnam: Opportunities and challenges
- Foreign leaders congratulate Vietnam's new state president
Vietnam, China enhance border ties
There cannot be another genocide: Ambassadors
Balade en France gastronomic festival - Walking in France in the heart of Hanoi
Vietnam considers issuing e-visas to citizens of all countries and territories
Business executives to face disciplinary action for failure to stop smuggling activities
Travel enthusiasts flock to Hanoi Tourism Festival 2023
Effective public investment as a top political mission: PM
Hanoi named among Vietnam's most beautiful places
Hanoi among cities with most trees in the world