US stresses importance of ASEAN central role in Asia-Pacific
The US remains supportive for ASEAN’s efforts in negotiating for the Code of Conduct in the East Sea with China, which is in line with international laws and the 1982 UN Convention on the Law of the Sea.
The US will continue to promote its relations with ASEAN, a bloc that plays a key role in the Asia-Pacific region.
|Overview of the online meeting. Source: VNA|
US Mission to ASEAN Chargé d’Affaires Melissa A. Brown shared the view in the 12th meeting of the ASEAN-US Joint Cooperation Committee (JCC) that was held online on March 17, aiming to review progress of ongoing projects and cooperation activities under the current framework of bilateral strategic partnership.
Regarding the East Sea, Brown said the US remains supportive for ASEAN’s efforts in negotiating for the Code of Conduct (COC) in the East Sea (internationally known as South China Sea) with China, which is in line with international laws and the 1982 UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).
During the meeting, ASEAN member countries highly regarded the US active cooperation with ASEAN through ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF), Defence Ministers' Meeting-Plus (ADMM Plus) and East Asia Summit (EAS).
The two sides agreed on further commitment in realizing ASEAN-US action plan for the 2021-25 period, while pushing for the implementation of shared vision in the ASEAN-US joint statement on Human Capital Development and other East Asia high-level statements adopted in 2020.
Permanent Representative of Vietnam to ASEAN Nguyen Hai Bang, who also serves as the Chair of the Initiative for ASEAN Integration (IAI) Task Force, welcomed the US contribution for the implementation of IAI Work Plan III (2016-20).
Bang expected the US to further assist ASEAN in realizing the goals set in the IAI Work Plan IV (2021-25), which was approved at the 37th ASEAN Summit last year.
- Vietnam demands removal of “Little Women” from Netflix
- Prime Minister urges proactive response to natural disasters
- Vietnam win second match of Asian futsal tournament
- Vietnam, Cuba ink action plan for further economic ties 2023-2025
- Cuban Prime Minister arrives in Vietnam, first visit outside Latin America
- Vietnam’s futsal team win convincing victory against South Korea
- Vietnam expects support from Warburg Pincus in energy and policy development
- Vietnam and Germany prepare for high-ranking exchange visits
- IPP matters a lot to economic growth, innovation: US Ambassador
- [UPDATED] Typhoon Noru hits Central Vietnam, curfew imposed
Hanoi a top destination for ASEAN investors
Vietnam demands removal of “Little Women” from Netflix
Cultural activities celebrate 68th anniversary of Capital Liberation Day
Vietnam’s economy stands firm in rapid recovery path: AMRO
Macro stability considered key for Vietnam’s growth in remaining months: Gov’t
Local firms urged to stay proactive in intellectual property protection
Vietnam needs to expand airport network to relieve pressure on infrastructure
Vietnamese, foreign firms must store data in cyberspace from October
Trade cooperation: Highlight of Vietnam-EU relations