Vietnam donates Laos US$2 million for pandemic fight
Laos is one of the largest recipients of Vietnam’s Covid relief since the pandemic flared up in early 2020.
Vietnam will provide Laos with US$2.15 million and medical equipment for the fight against Covid-19 in “the Land of a Million Elephants.”
|Vietnamese Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Nguyen Quoc Dung (R) and Lao Ambassador to Vietnam Sengphet Houngboungnuang on Oct 25. Photo: MoFA|
The donations resulted from the great friendship, special solidarity, comprehensive relations, and Vietnam’s support for the pandemic fight in Laos, which has become fierce over the past two months, Vietnamese Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Nguyen Quoc Dung said at the handover ceremony held in Hanoi on Oct 25 with the attendance of Lao Ambassador to Vietnam Sengphet Houngboungnuang.
The latest donations added to Vietnam's list of Covid relief to Laos over the past two years, including cash, medical supplies, rice, noodle, and direct assistance by Vietnamese health workers in Laos.
In April and May 2021, hundreds of Vietnamese health workers and military medics went to offer their assistance in consultation, treatment of Covid-19 patients, testing, quarantine, and building field hospitals in Laos.
Covid-19 has spread in all 11 cities and provinces across Laos with a total of 35,000 infections. In the last few days, it saw an average of 500-600 cases per day.
Since the beginning of the global health crisis, Vietnam has offered Covid relief to dozens of countries, of them, the neighboring countries of Laos and Cambodia are the largest recipients.
- US reaffirms to address war legacies in Vietnam
- South Korean Gov’t appeals court order: Vietnam requests respect history
- Int’l voices promote innovation for empowerment of migrant women in Vietnam
- US pledges $73 million for dioxin cleanup at Bien Hoa Air Base
- Boosting Vietnam’s youth engagement to prevent human trafficking
- Gender equality in digital transformation in Vietnam: Opportunities and challenges
- Foreign leaders congratulate Vietnam's new state president
- Vietnamese blue helmet doctors conduct free medical check-ups for South Sudanese
- Vietnam-UK Friendship Year announced
- Women’s world cup trophy to arrive in Vietnam early March
Vietnam continues to push for stronger ties with US: PM
Hanoi should prioritize climate resilience in urban development: Experts
The SEA Games 32 torch arrives Hanoi
Hanoi among cities with most trees in the world
2023 - a year of high-quality startups in Vietnam
Vietnam 12th International Photo Contest winners announced
Another perspective on Hanoi Street in Hoang Dinh exhibition
Artisan turns Bodhi leaf into artwork
Hanoi Party chief urges greater decentralization efforts to aid growth