Vietnam reports 37th Covid-19 death
The latest death case suffered severe pneumonia and traumatic brain injury caused by traffic accident.
Vietnam on May 17 reported one more person died of Covid-19, totaling 37 since the virus was first confirmed to have spread to the country in January 2020.
|Inside a testing ward of Hanoi's Center for Diseases Prevention and Control. Photo: Ngoc Tu/Kinh Te Do Thi|
The 37th Covid-19 death is a 34-year-old man who died of severe pneumonia and traumatic brain injury caused by traffic accident, according to the Ministry of Health (MoH).
Hospitalized on April 24 for Covid-19 and traumatic brain injury, the patient also suffered underlying diseases namely bacterial meningitis and ventricular dilatation.
He was treated at the National Hospital for Tropical Diseases (NHTD), the leading hospital in treating Covid-19 patients in Vietnam.
According to the ministry, Vietnam is treating 1,449 Covid-19 patients in 61 clinic institutes nationwide, including NHTD.
Of the total infected people, 16 patients are in critical condition, including a 25-year-old doctor. Seriously, two others are terminally ill, both are on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO).
To minimize death, MoH on May 16 asked Bac Giang and Bac Ninh provinces, two Covid-19 hotspots, to take good care of Covid-19 patients with underlying diseases and transfer them to the national hospitals before getting worse.
- US reaffirms to address war legacies in Vietnam
- South Korean Gov’t appeals court order: Vietnam requests respect history
- Int’l voices promote innovation for empowerment of migrant women in Vietnam
- US pledges $73 million for dioxin cleanup at Bien Hoa Air Base
- Boosting Vietnam’s youth engagement to prevent human trafficking
- Gender equality in digital transformation in Vietnam: Opportunities and challenges
- Foreign leaders congratulate Vietnam's new state president
- Vietnamese blue helmet doctors conduct free medical check-ups for South Sudanese
- Vietnam-UK Friendship Year announced
- Women’s world cup trophy to arrive in Vietnam early March
International partners keen on Vietnam's renewable energy sector
Chinese tourists impressed by Hanoi's must-see attractions
Hanoi International Marathon draws 10,000 runners
Hanoi among cities with most trees in the world
2023 - a year of high-quality startups in Vietnam
Vietnam 12th International Photo Contest winners announced
Another perspective on Hanoi Street in Hoang Dinh exhibition
Artisan turns Bodhi leaf into artwork
Hanoi Party chief urges greater decentralization efforts to aid growth