F1 race could take place in Hanoi this November
The Hanoitimes - The first-ever auto racing could take place in Vietnam in the coming months after a long delay due to Covid-19.
Hanoi is assessing and negotiating with the organizing board to hold the Formula One (F1) race by the end of November, Chairman of the Hanoi People’s Committee Nguyen Duc Chung told the city’s People’s Council meeting on July 6.
|The F1 Vietnam Grand Prix 2020 could take place in Hanoi this November. Photo: f1vietnamgp.|
If the race takes place in Hanoi, it will be a strong solution to stimulate domestic tourism, contributing to speeding up the economic recovery in the country and the capital city, Chung said.
The F1 Vietnam Grand Prix 2020 was planned to take place on April 3-5 but postponed due to the “continued global spread of Covid-19.”
The decision was made after discussions between the FIA with the Hanoi People’s Committee, the Government of Vietnam, the Automobile Association of Vietnam and the promoter, Vietnam Grand Prix Corporation, F1 said on its website in March.
The postponement was aimed at ensuring the health and safety of the traveling staff, championship participants and fans, according to F1’s statement.
“F1 and the FIA continue to work closely with the race promoters in Bahrain and Vietnam and the local health authorities to monitor the situation and take the appropriate amount of time to study the viability of potential alternative dates for each Grand Prix later in the year should the situation improve,” added the announcement.
The F1 Vietnam Grand Prix 2020 is expected to attract some 300,000 visitors, including F1 fans, domestic and foreign travelers, and international reporters.
In addition to the first-ever car race, the city also focuses on stimulus programs to attract local tourists, which will include cultural events to celebrate the 1010th anniversary of Thang Long – Hanoi.
Hanoi has wiped out Covid-19 after being the hardest hit city in Vietnam with 121 coronavirus cases and has gone nearly three months without local transmission.
- Hanoi starts fining people for not wearing face masks in public
- Hanoi finds another positive coronavirus case linked to Danang
- Hanoi to host cultural events to mark 1010th anniversary of its foundation
- Hanoi runs RT-PCR test on nearly 100,000 returnees from Danang
- Negative coronavirus rapid test results still imply transmission risk: Hanoi mayor
- Hanoi to call for EU investment in pharmaceutical and hi-tech industries: Mayor
- 800 Hanoian returnees from Danang to undergo concentrated quarantine
- 6 Covid-19 patients linked to Danang-Hanoi flight on July 24
- Hanoi raises Covid-19 alert until August 12
- Hanoi confirms one more coronavirus case, conducts aggressive contact tracing
Aggressive actions needed to defeat Covid-19 next 10 days: Vietnam PM
Vietnam identifies testing as key solution to prevent Covid-19 spread
Cuba donates antiviral drug to help Vietnam cure Covid-19 patients
Hanoi starts fining people for not wearing face masks in public
Vietnam stock market needs upgrading to emerging status soon: PM
ASEAN Summit in Hanoi expected to boost intra-regional economic links
Hanoi works closely with ADB to ensure progress of urban infrastructure projects
Vietnam Airlines retakes Jetstar Pacific from Qantas
Hanoi strives to ensure safe and stable investment environment for investors