Foreign investors pour US$194 billion into Vietnam's industrial and economic zones
The Hanoitimes - In the first five months of 2020, industrial parks and economic zones drew 390 foreign projects worth US$4.3 billion.
Vietnam's industrial parks (IPs) and economic zones (EZs) have so far attracted 9,850 foreign-invested projects with total registered capital of nearly US$194 billion, 70% of which has been disbursed, according to the Ministry of Planning and Investment (MPI).
|Foreign investors pour US$194 billion into Vietnam's industrial and economic zones.|
Meanwhile, IPs and EZs have received VND2,300 trillion (US$99 billion) in terms of newly-registered capital and additional capital poured into 9,650 projects carried out by Vietnamese investors, stated a MPI’s report, adding 45% of the said amount has been disbursed.
In the first five months of 2020, industrial parks and economic zones drew 390 foreign projects worth US$4.3 billion.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, revenues of enterprises operating in IPs and EZs suffered an 8% decline year-on-year in the January – May period to US$81 billion, while their exports rose 4% to US$58 billion.
Additionally, over 3.82 million workers are being employed in IPs and Ezs, down 0.77% against late 2019.
Since the beginning of 2020, around 120 enterprises in EZs and IPs were forced to suspend operations due to the pandemic, the majority of them were in southern industrial parks in Binh Duong and Dong Nai provinces.
Vietnam currently has 336 industrial zones covering an area of nearly 97,800 hectares as of the end of May, of which 260 are operational, other 76 are in the process of site clearance and construction. The occupancy rate reached 76.1% at operating industrial parks.
Additionally, the country has 17 coastal economic zones covering a combined area of approximately 845,000 hectares on land and water surface.
- Actual FDI in Vietnam down 2.4% to US$17.2 billion in Jan-Nov
- Former German vice chancellor facilitates US$350-million investment into Vietnam
- Foxconn to invest US$270 million in Vietnam for production expansion
- Investment funds to pour US$815 million in Vietnam startups in 5 years
- Work on Vietnam’s largest airport to begin in December
- Google’s advice for Vietnam to boost innovative startups
- Vietnam startups urged to focus on business integrity
- Vietnam predicted to have 138,000 new enterprises in 2020
- Vietnam parliament OKs to bail out carrier Vietnam Airlines
- Vietnam PM agrees extra US$2 billion in investment for Mekong Delta region
Second stimulus package needs to focus on most affected sectors
Wide range of cultural activities to be held in Hanoi to celebrate new year 2021
Vietnam timber export makes record this year
Vietnam to resume economic activities with countries having Covid-19 vaccines
RCEP offers greater flexibility for Vietnam in exercising rules of origin
Vietnam wins at World Travel Awards 2020
Vietnam expects to massively produce own Covid-19 vaccine by mid-2022: Expert
Hanoi completes traffic infrastructure to develop satellite urban areas: Official
Close-up of first train of Hanoi’s second metro line put on rails