Former President Clinton ‘grateful’ for 25 years of Vietnam-US partnership
The Hanoitimes - Bill Clinton described normalization of relations as “one of the most important achievements of my presidency."
Former US President Bill Clinton, who announced the normalization of US-Vietnam relations a quarter century ago, has hailed the partnership between the two former war foes.
“Grateful for 25 years of partnership — working towards peace, prosperity and security — in Vietnam and Southeast Asia,” Clinton wrote in a tweet on July 12.
| A screenshot of Clinton's tweet|
He also thanked “all of those whose support made it possible, including Senators [John] McCain, [John] Kerry, [Bob] Kerrey, [Chuck] Robb, and [Max] Cleland and Congressman [Douglas] Peterson — all Vietnam veterans.”
Bill Clinton was the first US president to visit Vietnam in 2000, 25 years after the Vietnam War ended, and was warmly welcomed then.
Besides the normalization of diplomatic relations with the Southeast Asian country, the Clinton administration lifted the economic embargo on Vietnam and the two nations reached a Bilateral Trade Agreement in 2000 after five-year negotiations.
Former US President Bill Clinton, right, toasts with Vietnamese Foreign Minister Pham Binh Minh during an event celebrating 239th anniversary of the US independence and 20th anniversary of normalization of relations between the US and Vietnam in Hanoi, Vietnam on Thursday July 2, 2015. (AP / Tran Van Minh.)
In the fifth visit to Vietnam in 2015 to celebrate 20 years of US-Vietnam diplomatic ties, Clinton described normalization of relations as “one of the most important achievements of my presidency,” and said it helped lift the burden that had been weighing down the American spirit since the Vietnam War, AP reported.
- Covid-19 may hurt up to 5 million workers in Vietnam in Q3
- Danang sets up field hospitals as local coronavirus infections surge
- Vietnam strives to stamp down Covid-19 in highly infectious Danang hospital
- Vietnam successfully develops two sets of SARS-CoV-2 test kits
- Ho Chi Minh City closes entertainment facilities
- Vietnam authorities seize nearly 1 million poor quality face masks
- Vietnam reports first Covid-19 death
- Vietnam sets up special task force in Danang as local infections surge
- World Bank provides US$6.2-million grant to help Vietnam cope with Covid-19
- Journey home from Equatorial Guinea of over 100 coronavirus-infected Vietnamese citizens
Vietnam gov't strives to ensure positive economic growth this year
Vietnam PM okays national high school exams amid Covid-19 resurgence
Hanoi named among TripAdvisor’s 25 popular destinations
Vietnam economy shows positive signs in 7 months: PM
Vietnam stock market needs upgrading to emerging status soon: PM
ASEAN Summit in Hanoi expected to boost intra-regional economic links
Hanoi works closely with ADB to ensure progress of urban infrastructure projects
Vietnam Airlines retakes Jetstar Pacific from Qantas
Hanoi strives to ensure safe and stable investment environment for investors