Vietnam prepares for US vice president visit: Spokesperson
Hanoi said details on the visit would be announced at an appropriate time.
Vietnam is making arrangements for the visit of US Vice President Kamala Harris, the Vietnamese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Thursday [August 5].
|US Vice President Kamala Harris. Photo: AFP|
Vietnam welcomes foreign leaders, including US leaders, to visit the country, said the ministry.
“Currently, the agencies of the two countries are coordinating to arrange the visit of US Vice President Kamala Harris in the spirit of the Vietnam-US Comprehensive Partnership. It continues to develop practically in all fields, contributing to peace, stability, cooperation, and development in the region and the world,” the ministry’s Spokesperson Le Thi Thu Hang said.
Details on the visit will be announced at an appropriate time, Hang said.
Earlier, Bloomberg and Reuters reported that Harris is scheduled to go to Vietnam on August 24 and complete the visit on August 26.
On July 30, Symone Sanders, Senior Advisor and Chief Spokesperson for Vice President Kamala Harris, announced that the vice president will travel to Singapore and Vietnam in August to “strengthen relationships and expand economic cooperation with two critical Indo-Pacific partners of the US.”
Vice President Harris will be the first Vice President to ever visit Vietnam, Sanders said.
Commenting on the visit, Carl Thayer, Emeritus Professor at the University of New South Wales, Canberra, told the Radio Free Asia that for many generations of US cabinet, including Obama, Trump and now Biden, Vietnam is considered politically stable, and has made an important contribution to the security of the region through its leadership role.
- People-centered approach matters to subregion development in ASEAN: Vietnamese PM
- Vietnam works with WHO, CDC on Omicron variant
- Vietnamese President arrives in Moscow, affirming 70-year special ties with Russia
- Vietnam's warship arrives in Indonesia port for ASEAN-Russia Naval Exercise
- Health sector wants to suspend flights to/from Omicron-affected countries
- Vietnam promotes production of Covid-19 drugs, vaccines
- EFTA – spotlight in Vietnamese President’s visit to Switzerland
- Vietnamese PM puts forth priorities to bolster cooperation in ASEM
- Denmark supports Vietnam US$1 mln in improving quality of official statistics
- Vietnamese President leaves for Switzerland, Russia visits
Vietnam to complete vaccination program for adults by mid-December: PM
Avoiding economic disruption key for Vietnam to stay competitive: JETRO
Vietnamese composers win Music Against Child Labour song competition
Fostering creativity from Hanoi’s cultural resources
Wild pear flower season comes early on the streets of Hanoi
Businesses recovery vital for Vietnam’s economic prospects: Expert
Safe, flexible adaptation to Covid-19 remains priority for Vietnam in 2022
Vietnam joins the world to end violence against women
Japanese giants pledge further support for Vietnam