Vietnam repatriates first citizens from Russia
The repatriation was conducted as Russia has emerged as Europe’s new coronavirus hotspot.
National flag carrier Vietnam Airlines on May 13 brought home more than 340 Vietnamese citizens on the first repatriation flight from Russia amid the pandemic spread in the transcontinental country.
|Vietnamese citizens arrive in the home country on May 13. Photo: MOFA|
The passengers who landed at Van Don International Airport in northern Vietnam on the airlines’ biggest aircraft Boeing 787-10 are children under 18, the elderly, the sick, students whose dormitories closed, and workers with expired visa, according to Vietnam’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
|Passengers check in at the airport in Moscow. Photo: Vietnam Airlines|
Russia has rapidly become a new epicenter of the global coronavirus outbreak with 242,271 infected cases and 2,212 deaths as of May 13. These figures have made Russia the country with the second-highest number of coronavirus infections in the world, according to The Moscow Times. Russia confirmed 10,028 new cases on Wednesday.
|Russia's coronavirus infections. Photo: The Moscow Times|
The passengers have been quarantined after they touched down in the home country.
En route from Hanoi to Moscow, Vietnam Airlines brought in a number of Russian visitors and medical supplies to the Vietnamese community in Russia.
Vietnam Airlines will continue operating repatriation flights as per passengers’ demand on condition of meeting protective measures and requirements by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Transport following the prime minister’s request.
So far, a dozen repatriation flights have been taken from Russia, the UK, Japan, US, Canada, UAE, France, Spain, Thailand, Indonesia among others.
- SEA Games 31 concludes: Vietnam helps raise regional sports level
- Vietnam remains committed to inclusive growth for world’s prosperity
- SEA Games 31: Vietnam crowned men’s football champion
- SEA Games 31: Vietnam defend women’s football champions
- SEA Games 31: Vietnam and Thailand to compete for football gold medal
- Vietnam, Singapore parliaments ink agreement to boost cooperation
- PM ends US trip with prospects of enhanced relations
- Greece wants to be transshipment hub for Vietnam goods to EU
- Vietnam seeks UNICEF support for children-focused SDGs by 2030
- Vietnam seeks climate finance from G7
SEA Games 31 closing ceremony: the warmest and dearest farewell from Vietnam
High inflationary pressure put GDP 6.5% growth target at risk: Gov’t
Where to go and what to do in Hanoi for locals and tourists?
“Vietnamese runners are my second family”: Timor Lester athlete at SEA Games 31
Hanoi wants to build second int’l airport in Thuong Tin
Hanoi handicrafts attract international SEA Games 31 guests
Exhibitions mark President Ho Chi Minh’s 132nd birthday anniversary
The Vietnam-US comprehensive partnership facilitates investment activities: PM
FPT opens new office in New York, 10th in US