August 10: Vietnam reports 14th coronavirus death
All the casualties in Vietnam had chronic diseases that weakened their immune system.
Vietnam, one of few countries that suffered no casualties from Covid-19 since the pandemic spread all over the world early this year, has confirmed the 14th death since July 31.
|Disinfection in Danang after first locally-transmitted cases detected on July 25. Photo: Pham Ngon|
The latest victim is a 66-year-old man from Danang, the beach city where the virus was reported to reemerge in the community after more than three months.
According to the Ministry of Health, he died of Covid-19 that caused pneumonia at a time when he suffered end-stage renal failure.
The man, like other dead victims in Vietnam, had deteriorating health conditions such as end-stage kidney failure, hemodialysis treatment, cardiovascular disease, and hypertension.
Prof. Nguyen Gia Binh from the Ministry of Health attributed the death to severe pre-existing diseases, calling the casualties are force majeure.
|New infections and tally in Vietnam since July 25. Source: MOH. Chart: Linh Pham|
As of August 10, Vietnam’s coronavirus cases reached 847, including 399 convalescents. All 50 foreign patients have recovered and been discharged from hospital. Of the total, 317 cases are imported and quarantined upon arrival.
Since the resurgence of the virus in the community on July 25, as many as 389 local infections have been reported, all linked to Danang.
Currently, more than 182,000 people are under quarantine, including 5,139 at hospitals, 28,408 at concentrated establishments, and the remainder at lodging facilities and at home.
- Vietnam steps up vigilance against deadly Marburg
- British couple thank Vietnamese health workers for saving their lives
- Vietnam closely monitors passengers from H5N1-stricken areas
- Hanoi to reduce third childbirth rate this year
- A Hanoi elite citizen with 24 years caring for people’s health
- Vietnam shows leading role in regional health services: US CDC
- Vietnam strengthens supervision at border gates to monitor new Covid-19 variants
- US, Vietnam can rely on each other: CDC
- Hanoi to ensure of Covid-19 vaccination course for children aged 5-11
- Hanoi to ensure medicine supply during Tet holiday
Vietnam, China enhance border ties
There cannot be another genocide: Ambassadors
Balade en France gastronomic festival - Walking in France in the heart of Hanoi
Vietnam considers issuing e-visas to citizens of all countries and territories
Business executives to face disciplinary action for failure to stop smuggling activities
Travel enthusiasts flock to Hanoi Tourism Festival 2023
Effective public investment as a top political mission: PM
Hanoi named among Vietnam's most beautiful places
Hanoi among cities with most trees in the world