WORDS ON THE STREET 70th anniversary of Hanoi's Liberation Day Vietnam - Asia 2023 Smart City Summit Hanoi celebrates 15 years of administrative boundary adjustment 12th Vietnam-France decentrialized cooperation conference 31st Sea Games - Vietnam 2021 Covid-19 Pandemic
Dec 11, 2023 / 12:03

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Manet visits Vietnam today

This marks his first visit to Vietnam since taking office in August.

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Manet will arrive in Hanoi today [December 11] to kick off his official visit to Vietnam, following at the invitation of Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh.

 Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh (r) and his Cambodian counterpart Hun Manet during a meeting in October 2023. Photo: VNA

The visit of Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Manet to Vietnam is scheduled for December 11-12. This will be his first visit to Vietnam since taking office in August.

Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh will preside over a welcoming ceremony this morning, followed by talks between the two leaders and signing various bilateral documents. The Cambodian premier will meet with senior Vietnamese officials and participate in other activities.

Hun Manet, 46, holds the distinction of being the first Cambodian to graduate from the prestigious US Military Academy at West Point. Alongside his military background, he pursued studies in economics, earning a master's degree from New York University in 2002 and a doctorate from Bristol University in the UK in 2008. He previously served as the Army Commander and deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces.

Hun Manet was sworn in as prime minister on August 7, following the Cambodian People's Party's sweeping victory in the general election.

Diplomatic relations between Vietnam and Cambodia were established on June 24, 1967, with investment and trade cooperation being prominent in the relationship.

Bilateral trade is projected to exceed $10.57 billion in 2022, representing nearly an 11% increase compared to 2021. Two-way trade reached $6.5 billion in the first nine months of 2023. Vietnam is Cambodia's third-largest trading partner and the largest in ASEAN.

Vietnam currently has 205 active investment projects in Cambodia, with a total registered capital of $2.94 billion, securing its position as the leading ASEAN investor and among the top five countries with the most significant direct investment in Cambodia. Cambodia, in turn, ranks second among the 79 countries and territories where Vietnam has invested abroad.

Defense and security cooperation continues progressing, with 84% of the land border demarcated and marked. Efforts are underway to finalize the remaining 16% of this demarcation and marking work.