Culinary film festival to open virtually in Vietnam
Some “sweet and savory” Asian film-themed gastronomy will entertain Vietnamese and international audiences on the occasion of the Tet holiday.
The culinary film week entitled “Encore! Crosscut Asia” will be introduced by The Japan Foundation Asia Center and Tokyo International Film Festival (TIFF).
The online film festival will run between January 21 and February 3, 2022. Those wishing to watch the motion pictures should email to firstname.lastname@example.org (Tokyo International Film Festival Promotion Group) or email@example.com for free registration.
| The film “Aruna & Her Palate”. File photo of Palari Films|
The “2022 Encore! Crosscut Asia” special edition features seven “delicious” films, including “Wanton Mee” by director Eric Khoo (Singapore); the romantic comedy “Namets!” (Yummy!) by Jay Abello (Philippines); “Aruna & Her Palate” on street food by Edwin (Indonesia), among others.
“Namets” (Yummy) follows the flirtation between Manuel (Christian Vasquez) and Lourdes (Angel Jacob), two Negrosanon whose lives revolve around food. Along the way, the audience is treated to the full panorama of Negrosanon cuisine and the idiosyncrasies of Negrosanon eating.
“Aruna & Her Palate” was an adaptation from the novel The Birdwoman's Palate by Laksmi Pamuntjak. The story focuses on friendships and romantic entanglement involving two men and two women all in their 30s with thematic references to local culinary wealth. Dian Sastrowardoyo stars as an epidemiologist tasked to investigate a suspected bird flu outbreak.
Meanwhile, the “Wanton Mee” film is telling the story of Chun Feng Koh, a middle-aged food critic whose career is starting to wear him out. He decides to explore his life and the development of Singapore through local food. Hidden within his life is the history of how their Singaporean dishes were created.
Originally launched as a section of TIFF in 2014, Crosscut Asia showcased diverse Asian cinema with a focus on specific Asian countries, directors, or themes for six years until 2019.
According to the organizers, “Encore! Crosscut Asia” will bring together a selection of carefully chosen films (with English subtitles) that attracted great acclaim when previously screened in the Crosscut Asia section at TIFF.
- National Sports Games 2022: Hanoi Sports aims to lead gold medal tally
- International Circus Festival to kick off on December 2
- President applauds boy for translating The Tale of Kieu
- Miss Tourism World 2022 contestants enjoy centuries-old ceramics village
- Calligraphy exhibition praises traditional cultural beauty of the nation
- Hanoi Rethink Youth Creative Photography contest explores Hanoi from different perspectives
- Hanoi Old Quarter: Exceptional activities to celebrate Vietnam's 17th Cultural Heritage Day
- Hanoi International Film Festival 2022 opens today
- Hanoi Flow art performance to kick-off Hanoi Creative Designs Festival 2022
- Hanoi's beauty highlighted at Hanoi International Film Festival 2022
Vietnam, France to deepen strategic partnership
Hanoi eyes GRDP growth of 7% for 2023
Vietnam holds 1st International Arms Expo
Lucia – most beloved Swedish feast opens in Hanoi
Miss Tourism World 2022 contestants explore Hanoi’s beauty
Hanoi People’s Council convenes 10th session
Thailand, Vietnam urged to be more proactive in new int’l challenges
Vietnamese Gov’t to divest state capital at 141 businesses until 2025
Green growth an inevitable trend for Vietnam: PM