MoFA’s senior officials arrested over allegation of bribery
All defendants are being accused of pursuing “personal gains” when processing licenses for a number of firms to organize repatriation flights to bring Vietnamese citizens back to the country.
The Head of the Consular Department under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Nguyen Thi Huong Lan, and three other senior officials at the ministry were arrested over an allegation of accepting bribes when issuing licenses for firms to carry out repatriation flights.
|A repatriation flight. Photo: dantri|
Chief of the Ministry of Public Security’s Office, Major General To An Xo, revealed the apprehension today [January 28], saying Lan, 48, was put into temporary detention and subject to prosecution.
Three others were also arrested for similar accusations, including Do Hoang Tung (vice head of the Consular Department); Le Tuan Anh (Chief of the Consular Department’s Office); Luu Tuan Dung (vice head of the Citizen Protection Sub-Department under the Consular Department).
According to Xo, the defendants are being accused of pursuing “personal gains” when processing licenses for certain firms to organize repatriation flights to bring Vietnamese citizens back to the country. Xo, however, did not go into details of the accusations.
The Ministry of Public Security informed since the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic, Vietnam organized nearly 800 flights to bring home 200,000 citizens from 60 countries and territories.
- Greece wants to be transshipment hub for Vietnam goods to EU
- Vietnam seeks UNICEF support for children-focused SDGs by 2030
- Vietnam seeks climate finance from G7
- Hanoi gives SEA Games 31 warm, thoughtful welcome
- Vietnam, Laos boost construction of road linking two capital cities
- SEA Games 31: Vietnam end group stage without conceding a goal
- Visitors to Vietnam no longer required Covid-19 testing
- US-ASEAN Joint Statement reaffirms comprehensive Dialogue Relations
- EU-funded program promotes women’s economic empowerment in Vietnam
- Indonesia defense minister visits Vietnam, highlighting navy cooperation
Vietnam opens doors for foreign investors in new business fields: PM
Dream of a riverside city
Where to go and what to do in Hanoi for locals and tourists?
Exhibitions mark President Ho Chi Minh’s 132nd birthday anniversary
The Vietnam-US comprehensive partnership facilitates investment activities: PM
FPT opens new office in New York, 10th in US
Vietnam’s e-commerce: driver for economic recovery in post-Covid-19
Vietnam, Qualcomm boost cooperation for 5G development
SEA Games 31 delegates get free Hanoi Bus Tour