Vietnam car imports surge over 85% in August
This marked the rise in number of imported cars to Vietnam in two consecutive months, following a 34% increase in July.
In August, Vietnam imported 8,800 cars worth US$202 million, up 85.6% month-on-month in volume and 87.1% in value, according to the General Department of Vietnam Customs (GDVC).
|Data: GDVC. Chart: Ngoc Thuy.|
This marked the second intermonthly rise in a row in number of imported cars to Vietnam, following a 34% increase in July.
Overall, 53,800 cars were imported to Vietnam during the eight-month period for US$923 million, down 43.4% year-on-year in volume and 43% in value.
Upon breaking down, the country imported 39,600 passenger cars, or cars with less than nine seats, accounting for 74% of total cars imported and 44% less than the figure recorded in the same period of last year.
According to the GDVC, 83% of imported cars in Vietnam in the January-August period came from Thailand and Indonesia, with the corresponding numbers of 24,700 and 20,300, down 56% and 28% year-on-year, respectively.
Data from the Vietnam Automobile Manufacturers Association (VAMA) revealed the number of cars sold in Vietnam decreased by 14% month-on-month and 4% year-on-year to 20,655 units in August, the first decline in car sales number in four months.
In the first eight months of 2020, car sales in Vietnam dropped 25% year-on-year to 151,903 units across all segments.
Sales of domestically assembled cars reached 96,473 units during the period, down 19% compared to the same period of last year, while imported completely-built-units (CBUs) totaled 55,430 units (-33%).
- Lao Cai and Yunnan provinces agree to strengthen bilateral ties
- Hanoi targets 500 products on shelves of foreign distribution networks
- Vietnam and Australia boost cooperation in education, agrifood
- Over 85% of major Vietnamese companies are committed to ESG standards
- Vietnam continues to push for stronger ties with US: PM
- Hanoi promotes public awareness of consumer rights
- Vietnam’s exports – in search for the magic growth catalyst
- Taiwanese firm eyes Hanoi as a key investment destination
- Vietnam wants to restore international travel with China: PM Chinh
- Central Retail may inject US$1.45 billion to expand Vietnamese operations
Vietnam, China enhance border ties
There cannot be another genocide: Ambassadors
Balade en France gastronomic festival - Walking in France in the heart of Hanoi
Vietnam considers issuing e-visas to citizens of all countries and territories
Business executives to face disciplinary action for failure to stop smuggling activities
Travel enthusiasts flock to Hanoi Tourism Festival 2023
Effective public investment as a top political mission: PM
Hanoi named among Vietnam's most beautiful places
Hanoi among cities with most trees in the world