Vietnamese 10th grader wins International Physics Olympiad gold medal for 1st time
Grasping three gold, one silver, and one bronze medals help the Vietnamese team rank fifth out of 77 teams.
Vo Hoang Hai, a 10th grader from the High School for the Gifted under the Hanoi University of Science, has won the gold medal at the International Physics Olympiad 2022 (IPhO 2022).
According to the Ministry of Education and Training (MoET), Hai has become the first 10th grader of Vietnam to have participated in such a contest and won the gold medal.
Vo Hoang Hai, a 10th grader from the High School for the Gifted under the Hanoi University of Science, wins the gold medal at the IPhO 2022. Photo: VietNamNet
The ministry said all five contestants of the Vietnamese team won medals at the IPhO 2022. The achievements, including three gold, one silver, and one bronze medal, help the Vietnamese team rank fifth out of 77 teams.
It added that in the ranking, the Vietnamese team was followed by those from China, Romania, South Korea, and the United States.
Two other gold medalists include Le Minh Hoang, 12th grader, and Vu Ngo Hoang Duong, 11th grader from the High School for the Gifted under the Hanoi University of Science.
The silver and bronze medals were for Nguyen Dang Phuc, a 12th grader from the High School for Gifted of Bac Ninh Province, and Phung Cong Hieu, a 12th grader from the High School for Gifted of Vinh Phuc Province.
The IPhO 2022 was held by Switzerland online from July 10 to July 17 with the participation of 368 contestants from 75 countries and territories.
Last year, Vietnam ranked seventh out of 76 countries, winning three gold and two silver medals. This is the third year in a row that the contest was held in the online format.
Members of Vietnamese national team at International Physics Olympiad 2022. Photo: MoET
- Hanoi gets new community library
- Competition on digital citizenship challenge for high school students kicks off
- Hanoi students bag five gold medals at Pangea Math World 2023
- Vietnam among four countries achieving gender parity in digital literacy: UNICEF
- Vietnam, Finland intensify education cooperation
- Vietnam asks educational institutions to develop Covid-19 response plans
- Human resource training matters to Vietnam's future: PM
- UNESCO Vietnam awards Youth Innovative Ideas for an Ocean without Plastic
- Hanoi: Various activities to celebrate Vietnam Book and Reading Culture Day 2023
- There cannot be another genocide: Ambassadors
Hanoi Times Weekly Podcast
Vietnam News Highlights for June 3, 2023
International Yoga Day 2023 celebrated across nation
Vietnamese Government urged to ban e-cigarettes
Vietnam’s Reunification Express named world’s most incredible rail journey: Lonely Planet
First Vietnamese forced laborers return from the Philippines
Franco-Vietnamese Filmmaker wins Best Director at Cannes 2023
Hanoi emerges major luxury brand destination in Southeast Asia
Two new suburban tourist spots diversify Hanoi’s travel options