Public transport e-ticket to be popular in Hanoi in 2024
Digitizing public transport has led to practical benefits for consumers.
The Hanoi Department of Transport has planned to deploy a unified electronic ticket system for public bus and metro services in 2024.
Currently, the electronic ticket is used on the Cat Linh-Ha Dong metro line and nine electronic bus lines in the city, but the ticket systems for bus and metro services are not technologically compatible.
Passengers are on board the Cat Linh-Ha Dong Metro in Hanoi's District of Ha Dong. Photo: Tuan Anh
This year, the city's transportation department will formulate a standard technical framework and common ticket policy for the public transportation system. The unified ticket system is expected to reduce the amount of time spent buying and checking tickets, and the number of staff required.
In addition, e-tickets will provide operators with data on users' travel demand and routes to create an appropriate operating scheme.
According to the department, the digitalization of public transport has led to practical benefits for consumers.
So far, the digitalization of public transport in Hanoi has been limited to the use of a chip-based bank card that enables contactless payment on Hanoi's Vinbus electric bus system. After boarding the bus, instead of taking out their wallet and paying in cash, passengers simply swipe their cards to make payments. They do not need to enter a PIN code or sign for confirmation. The money is deducted from their accounts and the bus tickets are automatically printed. The process takes only a few seconds.
Currently, passengers can use a chip-embedded card issued by seven commercial banks, namely TPBank, BIDV, Agribank, SHB, Viet Capital Bank, VietBank, and SeABank, to purchase Vinbus tickets.
- Hanoi's Loyalty Oath Festival listed as National Intangible Cultural Heritage
- International Yoga Day 2023 celebrated across nation
- Hanoi celebrates 595th anniversary of the coronation of King Le Thai To
- Hanoi, La Habana to ink partnership deals
- Hanoi to ban illegitimate renting and leasing of public property
- Vietnamese brands listed in Asia Architecture Design Awards' Top 100 Outstanding Projects
- Hanoi to ensure food safety for ten million residents
- Phase two of the Vinh Tuy Bridge nears completion
- Hanoi launches Action Month for Children 2023
- Hanoi Rescue Team: Nighttime "heroes" for motorcyclists
New apartment buildings must have life span: Hanoi Party Chief
Norway strengthens support to Vietnam's sustainable marine aquaculture
Covid-19 meets criteria for influenza status in Vietnam: PM
Hanoi Times Weekly Podcast
Vietnam’s Reunification Express named world’s most incredible rail journey: Lonely Planet
First Vietnamese forced laborers return from the Philippines
Franco-Vietnamese Filmmaker wins Best Director at Cannes 2023
Hanoi emerges major luxury brand destination in Southeast Asia
Two new suburban tourist spots diversify Hanoi’s travel options