Vietnam bags four gold medals at 2020 International Chemistry Olympiad
The achievements ranked Vietnam at the second place in the competition, only behind the US.
Four Vietnamese students have won gold medals at the 2020 International Chemistry Olympiad, VnExpress reported, citing the Ministry of Education and Training on July 30.
|Four Vietnamese students take part in the 2020 International Chemistry Olympiad (two on the right and two on the left). Photo: MOET|
The achievements put Vietnam at the second place in the competition, only behind the US, the best result recorded by a Vietnamese team at the International Chemistry Olympiad in the competition’s history.
The winning students are the 11th and 12th graders of gifted schools in Hanoi, Hai Phong, Nghe An and Nam Dinh provinces.
The gold medalists are Nguyen Hoang Duong, a 11th grader from Hanoi, Ly Hai Dang, a 12th grader from Hai Phong, Dam Thi Minh Trang, a 12th grader from Nam Dinh province, and Pham Trung Quoc Anh, a 12th grader from Nghe An province.
Dang scored the highest among the four - 97/100 - to rank 5th among 231 contestants, while Duong ranked 9th, Anh 15th and Trang 22nd.
This year’s competition was scheduled to be held in Turkey from July 6 to 25 but the Covid-19 pandemic prompted event organizers to host it online instead (Remote Access Exam). The Vietnamese students took the exam at Hanoi National University of Education where they were monitored via the organizers’ camera system in real-time.
The competition attracted the participation of contestants from 60 countries and territories, 20 fewer than the previous year due to Covid-19.
Last year, Vietnam bagged two gold medals and two silvers, finishing fifth out of 80 teams.
- Vietnamese education moves up five spots in global ranking
- UK helps Vietnam fulfill national target for English proficiency by 2025
- Australian university publishes book on Vietnamese learning
- Australia million-dollar program helps Vietnam improve logistic manpower
- Hanoi university earns world rankings
- Vietnam and the UK enhance vocational training cooperation
- Higher proficiency of English attracts more investment, tourism dollars: US Ambassador
- Vietnam, Italy enhance education cooperation
- Chairmanship of ASEAN Education turned over to Vietnam
- Danang City reopens almost in-person classes
SEA Games 31: Vietnam and Thailand to compete for football gold medal
PM ends US trip with prospects of enhanced relations
Where to go and what to do in Hanoi for locals and tourists?
Exhibitions mark President Ho Chi Minh’s 132nd birthday anniversary
The Vietnam-US comprehensive partnership facilitates investment activities: PM
FPT opens new office in New York, 10th in US
Vietnam’s e-commerce: driver for economic recovery in post-Covid-19
Vietnam, Qualcomm boost cooperation for 5G development
SEA Games 31 delegates get free Hanoi Bus Tour