Hanoi to build more shopping malls and supermarkets
The goal of Hanoi is to build the city into the international trade hub of the country and the region.
Hanoi will build three shopping malls, ten supermarkets, and 100 convenience stores, with the aim of turning the trade industry into a high-quality and high-value-added trade-service sector.
|Big C Thang Long supermarket in Hanoi. Photo: Thanh Hai|
This is one of the highlights of the Hanoi People's Committee's latest plan to overcome weaknesses in business infrastructure investment and development, which was pointed out at the 2021 city review conference.
The purpose of the plan is to improve the quality of the retail industry, making it consistent with the objective of turning the city into an international trade center for the region and the country.
To accomplish this goal, Hanoi will promote the involvement of the private sector in investment, business management, and exploitation of local markets.
The capital city will support expanding the scale, diversifying types as well as speeding up investment procedures to build a number of trade centers in the western districts, namely Tay Ho and Hoang Mai according to current regulations.
Over the years, the city People's Committee has taken specific solutions to remove obstacles in the development of the commercial infrastructure in the city, including improving the system of markets, trade centers, shopping malls, and convenience stores. However, the results have not met the set goals so far.
Obstacles are mainly related to mechanisms, policies, planning, land, investment capital and incentive mechanisms, and the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.
In 2021, two markets, two shopping centers, two supermarkets, and 100 convenience stores were put into operation.
- Hanoi to push for decentralization scheme in local units: City Party chief
- Hanoi determined to preserve its "green lung"
- Hanoi to build two new cities, creating springboard for Hoa Lac, Noi Bai areas
- UNESCO promises tight partnership with Hanoi in heritage and relic conservation
- Hanoi targets 100% of population with accounts on public services portal
- Hanoi holds Olympic Day Run 2023
- Re-enacting an 80s and 90s style wedding in Hanoi's Old Quarter
- Hanoi urged to speed up digital transformation in smart city construction
- Cultural heritage to propel Hanoi’s future development
- Hanoi seeks UNESCO’s support in preserving cultural heritage
Vietnam, China enhance border ties
UNESCO promises tight partnership with Hanoi in heritage and relic conservation
Balade en France gastronomic festival - Walking in France in the heart of Hanoi
Business executives to face disciplinary action for failure to stop smuggling activities
Travel enthusiasts flock to Hanoi Tourism Festival 2023
Effective public investment as a top political mission: PM
Hanoi named among Vietnam's most beautiful places
Hanoi among cities with most trees in the world
2023 - a year of high-quality startups in Vietnam