Vietnam, Cambodia launch QR code payment system
The move is aimed at facilitating cashless payments in both countries.
Vietnam and Cambodia have launched a cross-border QR code-based payment system to make it easier for Vietnamese and Cambodians to shop when traveling in another country.
|The launch of the cross-border QR code payment platform between Vietnam and Cambodia. Photo: VietNamNet
According to the State Bank of Vietnam (SBV) and the National Bank of Cambodia (NBC), the new payment platform will allow people in both countries to make safe and easy purchases.
With the new platform, people from both nations can pay for goods and services in their own currencies in a safe and convenient way.
Cambodians can scan the QR Vietnam code to pay for their purchases in riel when in Vietnam, while Vietnamese can use the KHQR code to do the same in dong when in Cambodia.
The recent launch of the cross-border transaction platform is the realization of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed by the two central banks in early November 2022.
Vietnamese customers of TPBank, Bank for Investment and Development of Vietnam (BIDV), and Sai Gon Thuong Tin Bank (Sacombank) will be able to use the KHQR code in Cambodia, cafef.vn reported.
Vietnam is the third ASEAN nation with which Cambodia has established cross-border cashless payment cooperation. The other two are Thailand and Laos.
Cashless payment is one of the key areas that Vietnam wants to promote as the country tries to develop a digital economy.
- Vietnam’s corporate bond market could grow to US$100bn: Finance Minister
- Vietnam’s banking sector set to turn the corner in 2024
- Vietnamese Gov’t remains steadfast in upgrading stock market to emerging status by 2025
- USD/VND exchange rate set to stabilize in second half of 2024
- Foreign capital expected to return to Vietnam’s stock market
- PM calls on banking sector to meet economy's capital needs
- Over US$82 billion to be pumped into Vietnam’s economy this year: SBV
- Vietnam’s stock market expected to close in on global standards
- Vietnam, Cambodia launch QR code payment system
- Global minimum tax set to take effect in Vietnam in 2024
Hanoi’s Do singing becomes national intangible heritage
Intel boosts Vietnam’s semiconductor workforce for ambitious goals
Hanoi encourages firms to sell to foreign distribution networks
Vietnam news in brief - February 21
Vietnam joins mega multinational naval exercise
National status for Hanoi's intangible heritage
Pen-brush opening ceremony: Vietnam's tradition honors learning
Site clearance is key for 500kV power line
Vietnam news in brief - February 17